I was hoping for a few ideas to show up in the comment section, but I wasn’t so lucky, but the one comment I did receive was from SlimShady702, which got me thinking. So today, while going to the rehabilitation doctor and listening to the new Eminem album on my iPod, I had a thought and am interested in your thoughts on this idea. We all know celebrities influence popular culture, with how they dress, what they drive, and how they live, but can celebrities, such as Marshall Mathers/Slim Shady/Eminem, help shine a light on serious issues as well as they do the sales of high end clothes, watches, and cars?
Take for example, Angelina Jolie, who had a very public pregnancy, and due to the risks and excess use of drugs and instruments to induce labor, announced she would be using a mid-wife, instead of a OB/GYN, and have her baby at home (or in the comforts of a home in another country), instead of in a hospital, would other women look into this as well? Would these women start researching home births, the mortality rates of home birth versus hospitals, and truly weigh their options?
Take that line of
thinking and apply it to this, Eminem went on a 4 year hiatus from the rap game to deal with family issues (divorce from his wife Kim), the murder of his best friend Proof (member of D12 and lifelong friend), and his, highly publicized, addiction to prescription drugs. On Eminem’s latest album, he dives deep into his battles, the risks, and the lifestyle of an addict. From the very start of the album, the “Dr. West skit,” he dreams of his rehabilitation counselor morphing into an “addiction demon,” who is always trying to get Marshall to come back to his beloved drugs and alcohol. This is a great metaphor for addiction. Once an addict, always an addict, you have to work on staying sober and clean, that is why Alcoholics Anonymous’ motto is “One Day At A Time.” You truly do live life one day at a time and fight relapse everyday. Shady, who is the second all-time, behind Tupac, in total record sales by a rap/hip-hop artist, has a tremendous influence on pop culture and I believe he has the ability to shine a huge light on what life will become if you continue to abuse prescription drugs like Vicodin, Ambien C.R., Lunesta, and even, OTC, NyQuil. Shady speaks very vividly of drug addiction, almost a “Scared Straight” show, only with lyrics and beats instead of prisons and inmates. On songs such as “My Darling (Deluxe Edition), “Careful What You Wish For (Deluxe Edition), “Dr. West Skit,” “Underground,” and “Hello” he describes how an addict feels, seeks, and chases that next high. But can these tales open the eyes of the youth and/or adults to show them that addiction will ruin your life, even if you are absurdly rich?
As a person who is currently going through the process of getting off of pain medication, I can attest, Shady holds nothing back in his accurate descriptions of how addiction progresses, and the end result is either cleaning up or losing everything, including your life. All this pain, suffering, and heartache just to chase that ever-elusive “ride on the magic carpet.” In a candid interview with XXL Magazine, Mathers described the exact moment he realized he was an addict, and we all know exactly when we figured out we were addicted to something, if you have ever been addicted to anything before. He stated that after shows, at the after parties, people always had different drugs and since he was the guest of honor, he never paid for any of these recreational drugs. He would enjoy his night and than go home. He would be sober for a while and then another show and the process would repeat. Then he went on a massive tour, and almost every night there would be an after party, with a few off days in between some shows. On those off days, he realized he wa
nted to get high, and started sending his staff out to get his drugs of choice (Ambien to sleep, Vicodin to make his problems go away, etc). When he started paying for it, he realized he was an addict. Once he started seeking out drugs, it was no longer recreational. It was no longer to just have a good time. Now it was full blown addiction. Marshall said something that I hope all the people who are reading this, or have read the XXL article, that are addicts and listen to the lyrics of his songs is, “You have to want to get clean, if not, you will relapse.” Say what you will about Eminem, but there are some deep songs (If you listen, and/or understand addiction) on the Relapse album, and add that with his crazy flows, you have the best album of the year. Yet, maybe along with the platinum records, Shady will help open the eyes of an addict and give that person a soundtrack to their recovery. As they go through all the withdrawal process and the learning to fight the demons of addiction, they can put on his album and know that they are not alone…
I will end with this. There is a song on Relapse called “Beautiful” (with a sampling of the Paul Rodgers, of Queen, song “Reaching Out”) and it is an awesome life song, and if you are an addict (or know someone who is and want to help them), are recovering from addiction, or are a long time friend of Bill W. (Founder of A.A.) and the 12 steps, this song hits your heart, mind, and soul. We are all beautiful, and do not let anyone tell you other wise…

Good blog! But I do have some reservations about it.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I'm not a big fan of Eminem. His new album surely speak of life experience and his bouts with addiction and probably do speak to people with addictions straight to the heart and so on and so forth. But, to me he is just a punk. A hypocrite. His second album had a pill on the cover! He always rapped about taking drugs and not caring about anybody, getting high for the hell of it. "Didn't mean to give you mushrooms girl!" Now that he has grown up he is singing a different tune. Is it a better message? I'm sure he is. But, to me it just makes him a hypocrite.
As far as celebrities having messages of positive or negative connotations, that is something I have always found interesting. I think it is a flaw of ours as people in general. Just as we shouldn't watch the news and watch the president make speeches and follow it blindly, I see the same problem with celebrities. My attitude is WHO GIVES A SHIT! Angelina Jolie is completely off her rocker. I'm not saying that having a midwife is a bad thing or anything like that. I'm just saying, I think it's sad that we feel the need to look up to these people who for all intensive purposes can not even begin to compare themselves to us, the average working man or woman, nor can we compare ourselves to them. How many more kids are Angelina and Madonna going to adopt? Some may feel that they are doing a service to these unfortunate children and blah blah. It's completely ridiculous. Angelina Jolie made a statement once that completely made me lose respect for her. She once stated that she doesn't feel like she would ever have the same compassion or love for Shilo, her own flesh and blood, because she was born into a life of no worries while her "adopted" kids were taken out of a bad situation. WHAT? the second you adopted them they are in the same boat as Shilo! They are more privileged than 90% of people in general! Furthermore, I understand that kids need adopting to get out of shitty situation. Do we really need to go to Mongolia to save a childs life? What about the millions of kids right here that could use a good home.
To summarize, These celebrities are in a dream world. I don't think they have a true perception of reality! Yet, we all insist on immolating these lifestyles.
Now candidly I will speak of my addiction. I suppose everybody has their vices. I can say that I am addicted to cigarettes. I also have my share of beers when I feel like it. I don't think I'm an alcoholic. I also enjoy a toke. Am I addicted to pot? Absolutely not. When I have it I admit I will smoke twice or maybe sometimes three times a day. But I haven't had any for a good month now and don't feel one way or the other about it. I am not craving it. Now, whether marijuana is addictive or not is a whole other debate. To me, I feel in no way addicted to it. I like to smoke it but I don't need it to function, nor do I feel like I HAVE to go out and get my fix. I have tried Cocaine, it was fun but too expensive. I have tried mushrooms, they are fun and I will probably do them again but I'm not addicted. I have tried ecstacy and frankly hated it. Acid is a lot like mushrooms but instead of shitting it out the next morning, it stays in your spine for LIFE! So, after the second time or so I've decided to stay away from it.
Ultimately, we know what is bad for us and it is purely our decision what we decide to do and what not to do. Perhaps some feel like they need a helping hand to stop addiction. I don't think looking to celebrities is the answer. If anything confide in family and friends. People who are actually a part of your life. And, ultimately it is up to only you. Only YOU can ultimately make that decision for yourself.
Take it easy all!
Mo,
ReplyDeleteThank you for a real answer, to a real issue. People do look up to celebrities. I personally do not look twice at rag magazines and, ask my wife, I hate E! Entertainment Television. You and i are not everyone though. There are people who look at athletes and stars as role models. I can honestly say I looked up to and emulated athletes like Will Clark, Bo Jackson, Jordan, just to name a few. When I was young, they were god like. Think about how young kids are having sex now days? Think about how young kids are when they take their first toke? You are 30, they are 8, 9, 10, 11! Maybe Eminem is a hypocrite, but that does not mean his crazy lyrics mixed with a very serious message, could get through to these kids. They listen to the words, they read the words, they memorize the words, but will they do as he says?
Adults are adults, I give you that. If you are grown and want to mimic a teen pop star, it is time to grow up.
On the other hand, you and I both are very loyal music people, are we not? Music is the soundtrack to my life. Now, when i am driving to the Accelerated Rehabilitation clinic to see the doctor about the addiction Eminem is rapping about on my stereo, do you think that those songs will now be etched into my psyche for ever? I will tell you, yes. And as long as I am battling this drug addiction, I will listen to this CD. Eminem did not make me do it, but he will be the voice closest to me when I am at one of those make or break moments and no one is around. Think about it Mo. You obviously listened to his music, he was wild and crazy and that was 10 years ago. He had to put himself on the map. He probably was living life by the seat of his pants, but now, he is older, wiser and perhaps he sees a little girl who may be faced with doing drugs, having sex, or anything else kids are doing these days that they shouldn't. Maybe Eminem the character, is letting Marshall Mathers the man, mix in a few verses in this new album. Just like "Guilty Conscience" maybe Marshall is talking sense into Shady, or trying to.
look first of all who's to say he wasn't at a bad point in his life and is now tryin to come up from that drug life and make it better fro himself and his daughter and his niece that he is raising. Look at birdman on denver nuggets he was suspended for 2 YEARS, from the hornets in 2006 because of testing positive for COCAINE, HEROINE, AND METH and could've just stayed in the streets and sold drugs but he came back and showed everyone what he was able to accomplish. I believe eminem doesn't necessarily have to be partrayed as a role model yet you could look at his uphill battle with being addicted to drugs a positive thing for your kids to know that you can persevere if you put your mind to it
ReplyDeleteSo Mo, the question is not what you think of Eminem (Hypocrite or not), the question is: Can Eminem influence people with his new CD? Here is an idea, since you can not truly listen to his music and give me feedback, maybe you could youtube the songs I mentioned in the blog and listen to "Beautiful," then tell me what you think of the content (subliminally embedded with the crazy stuff) or Google the lyrics to these songs and tell me what you think? Is that a fair asking of me to you?
ReplyDeleteBurt,
ReplyDeleteOkay, I can see your point and I understand what you are saying. Lets, look at it from a different angle. How many fans are now looking at Eminem like a hypocrite. How many of his fans were on his page with the ranting of 10 years ago? How many of these same fans are now going to follow in his footsteps and grow up from it? How many are going to turn their backs on him and see him as a traitor? Just like when he first became popular, at that time, there was still a choice. Fans either listened to him and liked it or went in a different direction and listened to something else? 50/50 at best I would think. But that is my point I suppose. If you get a positive message from it and you can turn to him in times of need more power to you! I'm not saying it's not possible, I was just trying to say it's somewhat trivial. You are a pretty straight and narrow guy. I assume you don't smoke pot and don't drink excessively. I don't know if you've ever taken psychedelics or uppers like coke? But I am assuming you listened to Eminem in the past and liked it. But, were you a drug user and a womanizer or whatever else he immolated.
Kids are a different story I suppose, but they still have a choice? Like I stated earlier, will they follow him or go another route. Celebrities are merely for entertainment. I think athletes are a little different but kind of the same I guess. I can see looking up to athletes more than celebrities. Well, I guess athletes are celebrities. But will a 10 year old Barry Bonds fan do steroids? Or an A-roid..err... A-Rod fan? I think it just ultimately goes to being comfortable in your own skin and knowing what it is that you want out of life. I don't think that a celebrities message can necessarily sway people one way or the other. People are either weak and need to turn to their addictions or they are string enough to say NO!... You can talk and rap till you are blue in the face. If somebody wants his vicadin, I don't think Eminem's message is going to get through. My point was ultimately each individual has to find it within themselves to want to quit. Which you eluded to as well. I don't think because Eminem is who he is makes a difference. You like his music and can relate to it and it may help you along your way to kick painkillers. But ultimately, it is up to you!
Also, As far as AA... I can see that it helps them to kick their alcoholism. But what I don't understand is the people who are in those programs and because they were alcoholics they look down on me because I have a beer. I don't know if you have experienced this or not but I have. There is a gal who works with my wife who is in AA. She doesn't do it anymore but for a good few years when I would order a beer she would give me shit. "Hey, it's your problem, not mine" Is what I wanted to say...
Interesting topic for sure... good blog buddy!
Also on the subject of Eminem... I don't necessarily dislike his music.. I think he has some great stuff... but it's just entertainment... I don't see him as any kind of a role model.. Coach Fermon was a Role Model....
Slim,
ReplyDeleteI understand what you are saying. There is no reason to think that anybody can't turn their life around. I give THE REAL SLIM SHADY props for going in a new direction. No doubt about that. If he can make people go in the right direction through his music, good for him and the people in question! My point was just that I feel that people need to realize that for themselves. These people that are mentioned aren't the first to do so. I just hope that people can figure it out for themselves. Everybody has their heros and mentors. My point was merely that it has to happen within that person First!
What about an artist like Bob Marley? He was a pot head no doubt. but listen to some of his music. When I listen to Bob I feel generally good about life. This is only a personal choice of mine but if I need to be uplifted I listen to him. "One love.... One love... lets get together and feel alright"... "I'm gonna be iron, like a lion, in zion"... "We gonna chase those crazy baldheads out of town"... To me he was almost like the last living prophet... maybe it's the pot talking... hahahaha
People get ready!!!!
SlimShady,
ReplyDeleteThank you for contributing. I think everyone loves a comeback. Eminem could of quit the rap game and lived a happily ever after and dealt with his issues in private, but he didn't (and hasn't, as demonstrated with his issues with his mother and ex-wife). He went through rehab and came back with enough life experiences to blast out 2 albums, and the first of the two is amazing. So much of the original Shady is back (hence the double meaning of Relapse). I think that alone is great. Being able to comeback from the grips of depression due to the life issues he went through and reinvent himself once again. The kicker in all this, being able to teach young people, in say a D.A.R.E. class, about the dangers of drugs, and, also, if you are into drugs already, showing them that anyone has the ability to overcome diversity and it can be that much more influential when you can attach a pop culture icon such as Eminem to it. Would you agree? Mo, what about you? (Remember, kids are getting into drugs at the ages of 9 and 10 years of age)
Mo (this is going to be a while, like we discussed, I absorbed and am trying to express and continue the dialog),
ReplyDeleteI apologize, I should have addressed this earlier but I had not absorbed it at the time. I was using Jolie's popularity as an example, but after I thought about your statement, I wanted to toss a couple things on the wall and see if they stick. Could it be that she has adopted 3rd world babies, instead of American ones, because American kids know her and would not appreciate the new opportunity, but merely expect a lavish lifestyle? Or, the more logical of reason) the waiting time to adopt a baby, or infant, can be 2-5 years! She can make an impact faster by adopting 3rd world children because the process is more streamlined? Maybe she has applied to adopt an American child and was denied, or accepted and is in the waiting process to adopt (she did want to have 12 kids). My only questions are: Are these possibilities? Are these valid points? Your points are very valid, but these thoughts ran through my mind and I had to ask.
Now, to answer your questions (try to do it in order), I never thought Eminem was a hypocrite. Why you maybe asking? Along with the mushrooms and pill songs, on his first album, he also had a song where he kills his wife and his daughter goes along with him to drop he body in a lake. His music, as you stated, is entertainment, and being able to understand fact from fiction is common sense. Unless you think Kim is at the bottom of a lake, then his other songs could possibly of been fake as well (these were my thoughts, and I thought he was a bit crazy). I know you do not believe his ex-wife is dead, but than there are songs written from life experiences. Such as "Zoe Jane" by Staind and "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton are examples of two fathers singing to their children (or in Clapton's case, deceased child). That is what I hear when I listen to "Relapse," because I know he went to rehab, and my moms are recovering alcoholics and narcotics addicts, so I know what he raps about is true feelings, emotions, and experiences. That is why I do not say he is a hypocrite. Correct me if I am wrong, I am going out on a limb and I hope you do not get upset, but I feel your distaste for Marshall is more personal, not lyrical, and I would "guess" that if a person was already a Eminem fan before "Relapse," than they are still fans after "Relapse."
(TO BE CONTINUED)
(CONTINUED DUE TO THE LIMIT OF WORDS ALLOWED IN EACH COMMENT)
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if I am correct, but in your reference to me being "straight and narrow" and that I own his first album, that his lyrics did not turn me into an addict even though he spoke of it often. That answer, if I assumed correctly, goes back to the last answer. I thought of it more as a joke than serious because it was so over the top, but I can see your point. What about youngsters, or the weak willed, people? Yes, they may have been influenced to dabble in these drugs (hopefully not the murder), but that is a guess. I also think this brings us to your original thought, it is EACH INDIVIDUALS CHOICE what they do with their life. I already said this in my original posting, but I will say it again, no person will get clean unless they THEMSELVES choose to do it, but my question falls in here: Do you think he could influence a person to make that CHOICE (to reiterate your point:) )?
Moving to the A.A. friend, my new mom, has been sober for over 25 years, yet still goes to meetings everyday. She bakes the "year sober" cakes, and never judges anyone who enjoys an alcoholic beverage of their choice, even me. Hell, she will be the first to tell you she had a blast drinking and getting high. Your friend, on the other hand, needs to be told off. It IS her problem, not yours, and like you stated here, it's your CHOICE, and only you can make the choice to not drink. You should tell her that if she feels tempted because you make an ice cold beer look so damn good, than leave and go to a meeting or call her sponsor. After that, if she does not leave, tell her to please be quiet because she is ruining your buzz.
I agree, hands down, that Fermon is a wonderful role model (but what if he was a drug user or an alcoholic and we just didn't know? Just a twist on the thought.
Lastly, Marley was a lyrical genius, a revolutionary, and an activist. He did influence people, with both his songs and words, to stand up for what is right, which, in a way, reiterates my point of Eminem influencing people. I think the CD, combined with interviews about his addiction and the feelings that went along with it and the recovery from it, could influence some of those people who are looking for a little push to make that CHOICE!
Thanks for getting my wheels turning, I hope I answered your questions efficiently. I cannot wait for your thoughts.
L4L
Good Blog!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that Eminem is going in a new direction and that he is getting sober. I have no doubt that people will be influenced by it one way or the other. I have no doubts that I will probably like the new Album, but I still thing he's a bit of a hypocrite. It's like Mike Tyson telling people not to beat women.
My true point wasn't to say that people can't change or can't be influenced, It's just my opinion that people shouldn't look up to entertainers. Your average person can't go to the finest rehab clinics or see the best most expensive doctors. Besides, like I said before, why do we need to look up to people who are in a completely different realm when it comes to just about everything.
As far as Angelina Jolie goes, She's not adopting teenagers. All the kids that she adopted were infants. Do infants really pay attention to who celebrities are? Do you think an american infant would know who Angelina Jolie is? I doubt it. This is just my opinion, but, I think Angie Jolie needs to get her head examined.. haha
Well, it's been a great blog. Can't wait for the next one!
Ciao!!!
Mo,
ReplyDeleteHypocrite...is the word you used right? Here is an excerpt from one of the songs I referenced...
"Be Careful What You Wish For"
(This is the 1st verse!)
So this is it...
This is what I wished for
Just isn't how I envisioned it
Feigned to the point of imprisonment
I just thought the shit'd be different
But something changed
The minute that I got a whiff of it
I started to inhale it
Smell it
Started sniffin' it
And it became my cocaine
I just couldn't quit
I just wanted a little bit
Then it turned me (in)to a monster
I became a hypocrite
Concert after concert.
Interesting, don't you think? I think he may have got caught up in the hoopla, like any of us would, but things change, and even he thinks of himself as a hypocrite.
Good call. I do not, but I explained that already (and I guess my assumption about him just acting looney to make a spot for himself was false, he really was).
L4L
Cool.. I can agree. If he is calling himself a hypocrite, then I definitely give him props. Hopefully, he can keep his head on straight and continue in this direction. We all have our flaws and the first step for anybody is to recognize these flaws and not be afraid to face them. Glad you showed me these lyrics... I just got the new DMB.. Pretty bad ass in my opinion.. I recommend it! Will get the new Eminem Soon...
ReplyDeletePEACE!